PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineers Please Help.
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2009, 04:02
Miles Gustaph

Location: Behind a dusty desk, and in some really hot, dusty, wet and cold places subject to who is paying the bill. But mostly Gods own land.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannought, that is such a negative comment,

"human factors BS, and not to mention the safety management systems i feel it now takes me way too long to take a dump iaw mm and company procedures"

It astonishing that you even think it’s acceptable to compare safe aircraft maintenance with time just because it’s inconvenient. When you’re in court trying to justify the work you’ve carried out and say

“we all have 'engineer' licenses, and the experience and knowledge we have is what makes us able to make the decision if that airplane is 'good to go” it’ll get translated as “cutting corners.”

It is safety management systems and O hell that inconvenient maintenance manual that has helped reduce maintenance error, sorry we work in aviation, stopped engineers killing people.

More to the point a safety management system now makes it easier to pin corporate errors on management as apposed to the traditional system of sacking the engineer.

I personally think the direction that most of the industry is taking towards corporate accountability, human factors and standardization is a tribute to some of the visionaries that our industry has and they should be commended for it, how they managed to convince the industry to pay for it is a real credit to their drive and passion.

It may get in the way of you taking “a dump iaw mm and company procedures” but personally I’m glad to see the back of the good-ol-days.