PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ryr Landed In a taxyway by mistake in CAG
Old 12th Apr 2009, 18:10
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89polaris;
I was wondering about NOTAM info. It took many posts for it to surface. None yet about the Metar, which is usually posted in great haste. I'm not sure if I understood the Notam. Where am I supposed to land? In northern Europe I'd expect ATC TWR to include in its landing clearance 34 L or R, or some other confirmation of which strip of tarmac to scrub the Dunlops onto. (what is the Italian equivalent of Watford for north/south delination?)

However, when there is doubt there is no doubt, so when in doubt double check. ASK.I'd be curious to know the last time either pilot had visited CAG and which strip they landed on.
There is another point, which I found great resistant to from previous airline managements. Flight preparation time in many airlines is not enough, especially with 4 sector days. Is 15 mins really sufficient. In Italy it is common to have an encyclopedia of Notams. If a destination has a longterm change in procedure or facilities why not have an ALERT white board in the crew room about it. I've seen it done with runway closures at the departure airfield; a full diagram of phase 1,2,3 etc. Why not the same with destinations? There are not that many occaisions. There are other scenarios such as ILS u/s for long periods. A flag up that a different approach and Wx minima are required. It would all help with Flight Safety and speedy flight planning. In these days of no flight dispatchers, and everything being self service, an oversight by the crews is going to happen more often. Every crewroom has a supervisor/manager,handling agent, but sadly their focus is not where it should be.
It will happen again, but there are always the pilots to blame.