PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chris Darke to be re-elected!!! Vote
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2002, 10:58
beaver eager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airrage you say,
I am also guilty, as a humble pilot, of questioning why it seems the top of our union not-so subtley tried to suppress the democratic process by not notifying us by letter that the GS position was up for re-election.
How long has "notso" been at the top of our union then? And does he even know?

Seriously though, whilst airrage is by his own admission guilty of significant over-reaction to these events, I can only applaud his efforts in highlighting what cannot be seen by any fair minded individual who is capable of thinking clearly, as anything other than an attempt to[list=a][*]Avoid drawing attention to the fact that an election was due to take place in the first place.
[*]Following the failure of the above strategy, to influence the result by using members' money to send out propaganda from a senior official endorsing his favoured candidate and besmirching the opponent.[/list=a]

This is not good. Balpa had (again, by its own albeit tacit admission) a severe 'democratic deficit' some years back which it had until recently worked hard to overcome... It seems that there is still much work to be done in this direction at the very top of the organisation.

If this behaviour were allowed to continue, ordinary members with smaller axes to grind than airrage (or maybe just less time on their hands) will simply show their feelings by cancelling their subscriptions. We would then all be the losers because whatever state the union can allow our terms and conditions to sink to, without its continued existence, the management will just have a field day.

Oh! And just to correct the incorrect correction from earlier that was presented on behalf of MR as "fact"...
Facts: "These days" nobody gets a printed timetable because they are no longer produced.
May I refer readers within BA to the communication dated 3rd May entitled "BA Timetables - note from Lloyd" which states clearly the correct position with regard to the issue of paper timetables... Captains and Senior Cabin Attendants only. i.e. One each side of the locked flight-deck door, to facilitate the answer of in-flight queries by connecting passengers.