PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2009, 11:19
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see 'bulletproof' guys more and more and they give me the freakin' shivers.
BarbiesBoyfriend, my sentiments also. My hallucination is that I see people that lack imagination about what can or might happen.

I have said it before but there is a difference between doing "things right" (aka management) and doing the "right thing" (aka leadership).

There seems to be much of the "tick in the box" philosophy instead of asking "Is this really going to ensure flight safety?".

About 35 years ago I recall reading a book called "The Safe Airline". One quote always remember from it was that one person high in flight safety said something like "The airlines will tell you that flying is safe because the accident rate is so low. However I am much more interested in the reasons behind the accidents which do occur". I think the later discussions on this thread are highlighting this aspect.

I also recall that in the late 1960s Boeing were concerned about the accident rate in certain airlines. As a result of this they made certain items a mandatory fit on the a/c (whereas before they were optional), and all initial conversion and line training would be done by Boeing flight instructors - and this would be part of the package of buying a new Boeing. Much of this still takes place today of course but I wonder to what extent a/c manufacturers express their views about the safety culture and operations of companies such as Turkish.

I do feel we are at some sort of watershed and unless action is taken I fear we might see further accidents of this nature rather than less.