PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should officers spend compulsory time in the ranks?
Old 12th Apr 2009, 09:35
D O Guerrero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, from a slightly different perspective.. Part of my RN Officer training was to spend about 6 weeks at sea effectively as a Junior Rate. We were still Officer Cadets, but no privilege or status came from that and we wore no rank badges. We lived in the same messes, ate the same food and did the same work as the rest of the Junior Rates on board. In fact we did the jobs that they didn't want to do. Included in this was an attachment to a different department each week with an associated acquaint. Each Chief or PO that took charge of us was able to speak to us frankly and without having to call anyone Sir. I learnt a huge amount from them. Every Officer from every branch (including aircrew) did this training. I believe this is still the case.
I didn't enjoy it if I'm honest, but it stuck with me for the rest of my naval career. It made me realise just what I was asking for when I later asked for some of the more soul-destroying tasks to be completed. I realised what it meant to expect a 5 man team to enter a burning compartment. I understood the importance of morale boosters such as good food and breaks from the routine because I had been there and done it. It was invaluable experience and makes for a better officer - without doubt.