PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2009, 07:36
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe we should not try to draw too many lessons or inferences from this accident
As you suggest, there are many of us who agree that the discussion surrounding the Schipol accident has cracked open a dialogue that should continue.
My reasoning is, this is the statistical one in 10 million. It was caused by a totally negligent crew from a background of 'Far Eastern' type operators (I see elements of certain Chinese/Korean/Indonesian practices with this outfit). Frankly I do not see many lessons of value to Western operators in this accident- what in particular happened incredibly rarely happens elswhere. Behind this accident is a culture that contributed directly to it. It will take generations to change that culture, and in the meantime, next time a Indonesian carrier is a a darn hurry to land, the Captain will take it in, and the Co-pilot will sit there semi-mute, unable to interject until they crash. I don't believe any lessons are to be learned here for normal operators, but we are all still going to have to go through a one hour presentation thanks to it. This was the statistical exceptionaly rare event, and I don't believe we can ever completely rub it out. Those that provide the exceptionaly rare events come from a particular set- they must learn the lessons. There is little in this accident for the rest.