PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-flight bathroom emergency question
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2009, 23:04
Donkey497

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a question that I've got to ask, as having shuttled across the north atlantic on a regular basis, no-one has yet managed to give me a clear answer.

I appreciate the FAA mandate that you have to use the facilities in your own section of the plane, but being "just a daft laddie" what do you do on an international flight to/from the USA if:

A) you are in economy, there are three toilets in this section, but on boarding, one is U/S. half an hour into the flight, both remaining toilets become U/S. What happens - do you all suddenly beocme upgraded to business/first or is a divert to nearest available field mandated?

B) You have an economy ticket and check in just by the skin of your teeth, the flight is oversold in Econmy, but as a frequent flier, you hold platinum status with the airline & they are duty bound to transport you even although the economy cabin is full and they allocate places based on the order in which you checked in. The business cabin is empty, so, grudgingly you are upgraded to a seat in business class, but still on an economy ticket. Are you still expected to go to an economy bathroom in this case?

OK, I'll admit that "B" is a bit facetious, but "A" is a question I haven't had answered, despite being on flights where some of the amenities have been unservicable prior to departure and others have subsequently failed in flight. Is a toilet in each cabin on the ETOPS Minimum Equipment List?