PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should officers spend compulsory time in the ranks?
Old 11th Apr 2009, 13:35
taxydual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obvious answer is no. Many PPruners have given their thoughts on the matter.

However, some aspects of Officer/Airmen linking does serve a purpose, and produces some suprising results.

Back in the '80's, at an F3 base in North Yorkshire, we had a steady stream of ex IOT Plt Offs/Fg Offs that were 'holding' awaiting BFTS. A few 'held' on the Air Ops side of the WOC. To make their lives a bit more interesting, we used them as Air Ops Assistants and taught them the basics. Nothing too deep (a little knowledge being a dangerous thing). How to read/write and action a signal, liaison with outside agencies, AD Radar Units, other Ops Rooms, RAF telephone speak etc etc. Almost all appreciated what we did to assist them.

A few years later, I bumped into one particular guy (who had passed through the system) and had become CR on an FJ squadron as a Flt Lt. I will admit I had difficulty remembering who he was, although he recognised me instantly.

In conversation in the bar, he recalled his 'U/T Ops Assistant days' and commented how much it had helped him through his RAF career. One comment he made that stuck with me was "that it made him feel part of the RAF team". He also commented how respectful he was, at the depth of knowledge, and expertise, of the Airmen that he had come into contact with."Something that IOT hadn't prepared him for" (his words. my bold).

That guy is now a 1*. (Edited:Wrong rank, he's a Group Captain)

Professional Airmen and Professional Officers (and repect on both sides) makes a Professional Team. A combination you cannot beat.

Last edited by taxydual; 11th Apr 2009 at 14:40. Reason: Over promotion