PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should officers spend compulsory time in the ranks?
Old 11th Apr 2009, 07:35
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by airpolice
A far better idea would be to weed out more of them during IOT when their true colours are starting to show despite what the AFCO may have thought of them.
AFCO is only the first filter, OASC is the second.

On paper this seems a better idea however there are draw backs.

The training systems have a requirement for a number of bums on seats. If the IOT chop rate was, say, 25% rather than near 99%, then it follows that you would need a whole additional course per year with all that that entails in capitation and infrastructure costs.

Once out of IOT the real work begins. For aircrew the courses begin with ground school followed by a gentle introduction to flying. Then it used to ramp up quite quickly with apptitudes and capacity being stretched. Like a horse race this is where the first casualties would occur with pilots being back streamed to Nav and Nav to Provost (for instance). ATC and ABM have similar capacity issues.

Even the scribbly trades are not simple attendance courses and on any there is a possibility of being chopped because you did slip through IOT although someone with very good aptitude and poor OQ may well continue.

Oh, and Airmen Tendencies? I think that is becoming apparent in this thread.