PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Margin for 50 hourly/oil & filter change
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2009, 13:22
PlankBlender

Wow, I'm not easily confused normally when it comes to the law, but you guys did it

This being my first aircraft, I hadn't really considered pilot maintenance or indeed the intricacies of the maintenance system. I usually just had the LAME deal with it. The oil change issue got me thinking, and again thanks to everyone for contributing, it has opened my eyes for the complexity of the situation.

Here's the verbatim from my aircraft log book:

This aircraft is to be maintained in accordance with the following:
[x] maintenance schedules
[ ] system of maintenance

This aircraft is to be maintained in accordance with the following:

(a) The CAA maintenance Schedule
(b) All specific inspections and lifed component changes which are listed in:
i) a schedule of Airworthiness Limitations contained in the Maintenance Manual applicable to this aircraft;
ii) approved data relating to modifications incorporated in this aircraft; and
iii) approved data relating to modifications incorporated in components installed in this aircraft;
must be complied with.
(c) All Airworthiness Directives applicable to this aircraft must be complied with.
(d) Airworthiness Directives required to be carried out at the Major Inspection must be complied with at intervals not greater than three years.

(Note: (1) This aircraft is exempt from the requirement of a major inspection as specified in CAO 100.5.1. Section 3.3.
As a reminder, my MR says this:

My MR says 'Oil cx + filter insp IAW Lyc SB 480E' at '7339 (or F/SW 1889) or each 4 mths'.
My MR stipulates 'CASA maintenance sch 5 + PA18-181 mm'
CAR42B stipulates that

if..the holder of the certificate of registration..has elected to use the CASA maintenance schedule..the aircraft's maintenance schedule is the CASA maintenance schedule.
So assuming Piper refers to Lycoming for maintenance of the engine (and therefore the Lycoming SB being part of the Piper maintenance manual which is then part of the maintenance schedule), I still have the difference between the Lycoming SB stipulating filter inspection, and ENG4 not requiring it when the pilot executes the oil change.

My insurer's statement lets me to believe I can choose whether to do it myself (i.e. without filter inspection as per ENG4) or have my LAME do it (with inspection according to the SB), and it will have no effect on liability or indeed compliance with the law. Anyone beg to differ?

Could I execute that choice every time an oil change comes up?