PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2009, 11:48
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't this the whole point of human factors - that we are all fallible?
Yes. But where does fallibility cross into negligence? If you drive down the road at 100 mph on the 'phone while looking for a track on your iPod and have an accident, is that 'human factors'? Both drivers and pilots undergo instruction/training and are expected to reach a certain level of basic competence like: "don't let go of the steering wheel" and "always fly the airplane".

...can any of us truly say that in our whole flying career we have never been distracted in such a way? For 30 secs?
At 100W, possibly. On short finals to a busy airport in IMC? No, I haven't and I expect the majority share this view. Close to the ground the flightpath of the aeroplane needs continual monitoring, which there appears to have been a complete absence of in this case.

When I read incident/accident reports, I almost always learn something useful that hopefully stops me following in their footsteps. Going with what information has been released so far, this accident appears that it will contribute precious little to the sum of aviation knowledge, apart from the extremely obvious.