PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should officers spend compulsory time in the ranks?
Old 10th Apr 2009, 10:38
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
I have 2 best mates in the air force and they are superb officers., one went in direct entry IOT as a graduate while the other one joined as an airman. Near 10 yrs later the latter, went through OASC and graduated from IOT and did well through the course and doing well for himself in his branch.

Not sure if it makes any difference though bit of me agrees that an agreed period of time in the non commissioned ranks can't hurt.

Though there is the time issue of those going for pilot or weapons operator but then its been proved that there have been junior non commissioned ranks who spent several years before going through a commissioning course, then pilots course whether its been the RAF, AAC, FAA, USAF, USN, USMC, USA.

If I am correct, in the USA within the various academies and even the ROTC program, arn't the cadets hold nco ranks during the years leading up to their commission? I know they are cadet assigned ranks but don't they denote some form of increased responsibility as the years go by?

I suppose like with everywhere else, there's pro's and cons of this