PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should officers spend compulsory time in the ranks?
Old 10th Apr 2009, 01:10
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having served as an airman for ten years and an officer for 15, I think the answer to the question is a definite "no!" There would be absolutely no benefit to a potential junior officer.

I also feel I had an advantage in my transition [I was never an NCO], in that my ideas on what would make me a good officer [Sqn Ldr Rtd], was that I'd had no pre-conditioning as a SNCO, many of whom continue to think in that rank long after commissioning. I think I also had the benefit, as an airman, of working with some super officers, almost all aircrew types. Some of the other branch representatives never lit my fire, and I recall one Flt Lt OC my section whom I never met in two years!

I'm biased, of course, but I think I was a damn fine officer, and have the paperwork to prove it, because I already had the determination, attitude and integrity to "do it once, do it right". I don't think that always happens with some commissioned NCOs, because that's what some of them continue to be!

I was selected by the way, I never applied for a commission, and I had to convinced by a Gp Capt GD[P] that I was the right man!

Last edited by Samuel; 12th Apr 2009 at 08:16.