PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Long it takes the Modular way???
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2009, 11:33
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apologies to the OP, for the distinct turn off track.

BSMuppet, I don't give a flying F... if I'm giving you the hump or not. You're giving me the hump by being so sodding myopic and totally failing to see that your figures are just plain wrong. If you can't see that, then god help us all if you get in the air.

The point Iwas trying to make about Salary - the fact I earn what I earn means absolutely cock all in context of whether my opinion is valid or not, if I'm talking ****e I'm still talking ****e if I have a million in the bank or not. However, all your posts have a distinct tone of "I earn £38k, so I KNOW what I'm talking about"....I do accept however that maybe this point just comes across badly and it wasn't your intention. The point still remains however, your earnings are irrelevant be they £100k pa or £10k pa. If you go part time modular you can offset your expenditure by that amount, if you go full time, you can't. So why do you need to publish actual figures?

Your comment on "not even the integrated bods have seniority in the marketing brochure" is possibly the single most twatty comment I have read in donkeys years. Of course they don't, but if you have even half a brain then you'll understand that having 13 years on the top pay point of say £100k is worth more than 10 years on £100k. Likewise, even a hint, a tiny glint of intellect will tell you that finishing your training and starting flying earlier, gets you to that top pay point sooner. In the same way no-one markets that being a pilot pays more than being a dustman - does that make it untrue!?

Just do yourself a favour and go and look at the salaries on PPJN. Really. Look for yourself, so you don't think I'm making it up. Make yourself a nice little spreadsheet and see how it works out. I just did it for Thomas Cook and even with your preserved earnings for your five years training you're about £120k down on your whole career. Although perhaps I'll use Muppets mathematical rounding....you're £2200203k down.

The whole point, that you've so successfully managed to miss is that you've just believed the hype yourself. You clearly believe that integrated costs the moon. on a stick. Despite the fact that it actually costs only £5k more (at Cabair, as of right now) than you've laid out for your training. This is the point I'm labouring. This is the point you're missing. Because in your world the £56k cash you've got for your training would have to be borrowed to do the cabair course and therefore cost you £100k in interest.

Yes - living figures and loss of salary need to be accounted for, but cost of living figures APPLY EQUALLY TO ANY TRAINING METHOD, both WHILST you're training and after you've done. Do you not get this? Is this beyond you? Or are you perhaps planning on living on fresh air whilst modular training. There is no such thing as a free lunch....you no doubt would tell me that your income offsets the cost of living. This is true, except that you then can't use that money for training, which lengthens the whole process. And round and round we go. Loss of income, well yes that is valid. But why the hell do you think that loss of salary only applies at one end of the scale? It doesn't. time spend earning £40k at the start of your career doing something other than flying, is time you're NOT earning £100k at the other end of your career.

FWIW, again, I repeat I think £56k is more than enough. It sounds like you've budgeted very well for your training. Which is why I find it so infuriating that you can't seem to understand all the costs and the impacts of them on the wider scale. You can insult me all you want, I really don't give a stuff. Fact is I already have my nice and cheap blue wallet, I have no debt and enough money in the bank to pay a TR if I need to. So believe what you want - clearly your mind is made up - I think you have sensible and realistic figures for your course and wish you well on it. But you're so far wide of the mark on your thoughts on integrated it's not even funny...

P.S. JohnnyDB - totally agree that it's totally dependent on getting lucky with the weather. Still think a year from absolute scratch is pushing it though...but there you go,