PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2009, 20:19
Horror box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Note: If as you suggest not having a 30-minute Run Dry Gearbox is a failing, then I guess most of the platforms operated in the offshore oil industry should be tarred with this brush. Some platform designs have after all been in service for 40-years and more (plenty of time to come up with a fix), so why not include them as well?
Whilst I agree with your implication, I am not sure I agree with the principle. I would say we should be striving for safety advances all the time, especially in terms of new technology and design. Dry run capability and whether other types have it or not can be argued until the cows come home, but there is no doubt that it is should be a required safety feature when we are operating at times over 1 hr flying time offshore. 10 mins, means enough time to get into the little orange floating thing if we are lucky/get it deployed/find it in the dark/get out of the upside down sinking heli. The weather is very often not that accommodating, especially in the northern climes, where many months flying are predominantly in the dark, and the sea state is almost permanently hard-wired to scary. I for one would appreciate some sort of time to choose my landing site if possible, and at least give myself and my pax the best chance of seeing our families again if/when this happens again. A night ditching in the N.Sea with 50+ knots of wind is not going to see many survivors, especially when we still only have sea-state 5 floats connected. At least give us a fighting chance.