PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC History
Thread: ATC History
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2009, 19:55
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<I was just wondering, was the Heathrow or Gatwick Approach Controller on the same frequency as the Number 1 Director? Also, now we have the support controller sometimes on the same frequency as the Number 1 Director, is the support controller always there to do the coordination (even if not speaking on frequency) or does the Director have to handle coordination at the same time as controlling? Finally, does each TMA sector still have a planner/coordinator

Callum91..... The approach controllers were/are on the same frequency as their respective Directors, i.e. No 1 North Director was on same frequency as North Approach at Heathrow. They handled BNN and LAM traffic with their counterparts on the south side handling BIG and OCK. Gatwick Approach and No.1 Director were on the same frequency too but I don't know what the current situation is.

The "support" controller does the same as the old approach controller except he/she has radar. If things are quiet, the No. 1 Director will do everything himself - talking to aircraft, answering phone calls, writing strips, etc. When it's busy the support, or approach, controller usually does the phones and some strip marking.

Can't answer TMA questions - that's a different ball game!!