PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots Palermo ATR Crash received 10-year sentences
Old 6th Apr 2009, 23:06
Bladecrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this accident is to be broadcast on national geographics "air accident investigations" next monday. It will be interesting to see how the flight crew are portrayed in the film.
I watched the programme mentioned above, and I thought it was very good. Yes, the Captain did make a couple of mistakes, (not confirming fuel uplift prior to departure, and not feathering props and reducing airspeed after 2nd engine failure, however they didn't realise at the time that they had run out of fuel) but the primary cause of the accident has to be the installation of the wrong FQI. I think the crew tried their best with the information they had under the circumstances. It was a shameful decision to prosecute them and hang them out to dry... As for the media trash about pausing to pray

Can someone familiar with the ATR 72 tell me why they did not get a low fuel warning? Surely there should be a low fuel indication directly activated by low fuel level and separate from the FQI?