PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Margin for 50 hourly/oil & filter change
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2009, 22:31
PlankBlender

Thumbs up

Great advice as usual here, thanks heaps!

My MR stipulates 'CASA maintenance sch 5 + PA18-181 mm', so I guess ENG4 applies and with that the 10% tolerance.

Oil and filter change are getting done today, the question was primarily one of liability and practice. In this country what the regs state and what is applicable practice often vary considerably. I'll still double check with the insurer for good measure, though, you never know, they will take any opportunity to wriggle themselves out of coughing up

ENG4 also states that filter inspection is not needed when the pilot does it, so I suppose that overrules the Lycoming SB (I wish there was some no-nonsense advice by CASA on this, both of their maintenance guides for owners and operators don't even mention owner oil changes):

A3(b) Engine oil filter, oil pressure screen and suction screen inspection
All engine oil and engine oil filter replacements, including those carried out in the period between the aircraft periodic inspections, unless carried out by a pilot, shall include inspecting the engine oil pressure filter, oil pressure screen and, if applicable, the oil suction screen, for evidence of metallic particles, shavings or flakes. Take corrective action, where necessary
Follow-up question here: Where does one do a pilot oil and filter change these days? I'd be more than happy to do it myself rather than pay someone a couple of hundred bucks for the privilege, but I'm not sure it'll be looked at kindly if I put a can under my plane on the grass at Archerfield.. and I'd then just drive the old oil to the nearest depot or what?