PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI Nearly Loses Another S-76
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2009, 02:04
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
The Training Department at PHI is the best in the business. They try very, very hard to standardize procedures, get everyone to fly alike. A problem that I saw during the 13 years when I was there, and evidently still exists, is that pilots nod and "yes sir" their way through Recurrent, then go out and do it their way in the field. And if "their way" is different from what Training has just tried to pound into their heads, well, too bad.

Helicopter pilots are such renegades. Don't try to deny it!

I can almost guarantee you - in fact I'd put money on it - that PHI does not preach or teach shallow platform approaches, especially in an S-76. But there are still too many guys around with the, "Look, I know what they told you in Training, but this is the way *I'VE* been doing it all these years" attitude.

But no matter whether the approach was shallow or steep, it very obviously ended with one of the mains off the platform, instead of three feet from the edge as the Ops Manual requires. Aim-points are great...unless you put yourself in the center of the aim point and forget that there's still thirty feet of helicopter behind you.

Sh*t happens. Embarassing all around.