PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moderators Overkill?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2009, 10:04
4PW's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moderators, and this Forum

I wrote to Moderators of all the Forums a few months ago regarding banner advertisements on this website, a cursory investigation of which illuminated several as patently obvious Ponzi schemes.

As my intent was to warn PPRuNers of this gross misrepresentation, I also started several threads on the most-viewed Forums. The result of all this was to see each thread deleted. Not one remained beyond a day.

PPRuNe Central utterly ignored the warning, so beware.

Of my missives to the Moderators and PPRuNe itself, I received but one very telling reply in the form of an email from a Mod who admitted that his 'daily' activity in the august post, pardon the pun, of Moderator was made easier by creating "multiple personalities under different handles to argue with" himself and others.

This Forum is not necessarily dying, but it is rotting.

Yet every time a contributor complains, life is breathed anew into this cancerous site, on a daily basis. How can this be so? The reason is simple: people want to know as much as they can, for free. But it won't last. Cancer never does.

Gone are the days of paid-for publications. Newsletter and newspaper editors know this well. Tis their common lament. As if to rub salt in the wound, it does not follow that with the growth of PPRuNe comes a useful source of reference.

Witness to this is the falseness thrown about by uninformed contributors on a thread about Emirates' take-off accident in Melbourne. Utter lies were mixed with ill-formed rumor from questionable contributors and obvious malcontents to the EK brand, turning the thread into a laughing stock and the very opposite of a verifiable source.

Combine this with the overbearing stance of Moderators, as highlighted by the title of this very thread, and the result, for me at least, is contempt.

Contempt for ill-tutored posters, contempt for the peurile name-calling between posters, contempt for the psychotic behaviour of a Moderator who admits to holding conversation with his multiple personalities/handles, contempt for the utter lack of humor and inability to see another's perspective, contempt for political correctness masquerading as sensitivity, and contempt for the stench of rank corruption in advertising.

In short, this is a site to mock, nothing more. This is not a site for serious professional pilots to discuss the serious issues of aviation, or ot share a light-hearted laugh at themselves, trade information of where to drink a cold beer in Brussels or eat hot pig in Frankfurt.

PPRuNe is a free site where Moderators work for free. Which is the whole point. The Mod, as he or she is at times fondly referred to, may be overbearing, but he is also overworked. The fault lies in the fact that not only are they unpaid, but that this site is free.

An age old maxim quite elegantly states that, "you get what you pay for".

Last edited by 4PW's; 4th Apr 2009 at 10:17. Reason: format