PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does this mean "mode-s" ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2009, 16:22
Radarspod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mode S

There are only 2 radars in the UK providing “Mode S” ident (although the feeds go to more than two ATC units).
Actually NATS have 13 across the UK (3 more underway), Inverness has one, Newquay has one, Belfast City & Warton have ones on the way - and that's the ones I know about.....

There are no plans to update most of the radars according to local military and civilian controllers in my area
Operating Mode A/C only radars in the UK will not be possible from 31st Dec 2011 as all of their operating approvals expire on that date. If there are secondary radar operators (Mil included) that aren't looking to replace, they are going to be in for a shock.

I thought one of the benefits of Mode-S was that we should not have to use transponder codes any more, as each aircraft could have its own unique code permanently assigned. So why are we still flying around squawking this and that in our Mode-S aircraft?
Mode S ELS probably doesn't on the face of it give an immediate benefit until ATC units update their radars and display systems to use Aircraft ID instead of Mode A codes. It is much better for a controller to see lots of blips with a registration attached to it than just lots of blips with A7000. Unfortunately the CAA mandating Mode S radars on the ground from 2012 hasn't forced the ATC units to update their displays to use the Mode S derived data (like Aircraft ID). Also, flight data systems would have to use Flight ID rather than mode A to link flights to flight plans. Until the majority of ATC units are Mode S capable, Mode A codes will have to be used.

From an interoperability point of view the sooner everyone is using the Mode S the better - but I can understand the point of view of a GA operator having to upgrade a transponder with no immediate obvious benefit.

RS