PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Violation of Controlled Airspace
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 11:28
DBTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regs

Bell_Flyer I reckon you are asking pertinent questions. It's a fact though that we simply love to be regulated!

There have been several threads discussing how large controlled airpsace is in Australia, and the huge size of restricted areas in our big wide (empty) land. The answers usually come back about how frightened you would be if you saw an F18 or a helicopter nearby because the sky is black with them in those special places. That is, of course, simply not true.

I think the answer is more about our desire to be told what to do than anything else. Somebody esle can therefore be responsible for what happens. Cue the horrified hoards who "like things the way they are and I am not bothered by all the airspace restrictions which make flying much harder than it needs to be."

No, Richmond doesn't need such a big zone, and Nowra does not need to be protected by such large restricted areas. The rate of flying that goes on in the airspace you have identified is very low. For the airpsace size to be reduced (at best) or released more frequently (at worst) would only be a benefit to everyone and a burden to none.

Yes, there would be fewer violations if airspace usage wasn't so regulated. In such a big country with such vast airspace available, the number of near misses and collisions wouldn't go up either...