PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ulster flying club laying off 15 instructors
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 08:23
ulsterfi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afraid it's all true... wish it was an april fools

I'm afraid dublinflyer is accurate in his assesment. I'm one of the 15 that are affected. I've been an instructor down at UFC for some years now and I can definately confirm there's a lot of ill feeling at the way this has been handled. Over the years I've juggled my days of full time work to help the club out when they were desperate for a QFI, I'm only one of many part timers that has received a call from Jan over the years, with her pleading for me to help her out. Let me just add that, it's Jan that runs that place, she's the one that knows the full score and doesn't get the credit she deserves.

Anyway, here we are in seriously difficult times in the avaition sector. A lot of guys out of work and now we find we have a oversupply of instructors. Too many instructors, not enough work.
You can now understand why so many guys are disappointed and annoyed, after helping this club out over so many years, now being cast aside and told we're surplus to requirements.

You also need to appreciate the unique situation of UFC. It has been the experienced Jet, turbo prop, business, cargo, etc pilots contributing there part time efforts to the club that has brought a rich experience. The part time FI's are there because they have a passion for passing on their vast experience, love teaching and giving something back. ( lets face it, you're definately not there for the money.)

I'm afraid that the real losers here will be the students and members who will be receiving their training from a newly arrived AFI with extremely limited experience.
The manner in which this has been rushed through, a lot of committee members "ignorant "of whats happening has left a bad taste. It has bordered on the illegal. The normal employment laws ignored. Hodgkinson and Harrison seem to be pulling all the strings.

Are there some very annoyed instructors down there, Absolutely. By the way, not one instructor was aware of what was happening until this new guy showed up. How's that for keeping your club members and instructors in the dark.
Here's one instructor that won't be rushing in when they're pleading for someone to come in and help.