PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Provost T.Mk.4 removal from service.
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2009, 20:19
CharlieJuliet

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Bob, enjoyed the book - thankyou. I also support the suggestion that the T4s ran out of fatigue life because they were mainly used on the 'advanced' part of the BFTS course. I note that I did not convert to the Mk4 till I'd done 50 hours, and was onto nav, aeros, and max rate turns. This would soon sort out the fatigue life!! I was at Acklington from 63 - 64. At that time we had students from Iraq and Kuwait with us on the course. As I recall one of the students from Iraq did all his exercise in a straight line from take off, ran out of fuel and had to divert to Leuchars. Rumour had it that one of them did his solo night by taxiing over to the helicopter dispersal and staying there for 1 hour - he was found out because his steers ( we had to check in with ATC every 10 mins, when solo, to make sure we were clear of Otterburn) did not change. We also had an aircraft land at Boulmer after an engine failure - caused I think by a dropped seat pin going down the intake. Many more happy memories of the JP and Northumberland. Great place to learn to fly.