PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority or Experience & Performance
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2002, 12:51
SeaEagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am convinced that pilot seniority systems are on there way out. Weather we like it or not!

Airline executives do think the seniority system is costly in terms of time and money, and that experience & ability to do the job to a high standard at the best price and in a timely manner is their desire.

There are obvious problems with both systems. However, I consider that if we acknowledge the pressures on the airlines to be responsive to emerging markets and yet maintain the financial operating margins, we will need to be flexible and go with the times.

Best we have some input to the industry's future. Why not be pro-active and consider and discuss some alternatives that take the best of both and yet guard against the negatives. (is there such a system? Or can such a system be devised?)

Lets talk about the companies that take a balanced view and accept "experience & ability" without crushing those of a lesser "experience & ability" already in the ranks.

Lazarus -
Having worked in a "experience and ability" employment & promotion system for some years. It doesn't take long to get over the discomfort of someone "off the street" getting in above you. Everyone soon finds out there capabilities. If they don't deserve to be there, they feel the pressure very quickly and get itchy feet and find some excuse to leave.

There is also increased pressure on those who do the selecting. If they get it wrong they cop flack from above & below. So they work hard at getting the right balance. If the CRM in your cockpit is affected by this, your have bigger problems than whose sitting in what chair and may I suggest you need to look at the depth of your CRM & interpersonal skills.