PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Violation of Controlled Airspace
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2009, 09:33
amberale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with most posters here.
50% reporting is probably the norm.
Accidental stuff ups happen on both sides of the mikes.

It is very frustrating though when the pilot of the aircraft involved in a VCA does not reply to on air queries.
Ok, they might be unsure of their position or worried about being "reported" but regularly there is a safety concern.
If you no talkee we don't know if you will descend octa, turn away or turn towards traffic. We don't even know if you are listening on the right frequency.
Please, if you are not sure of where you are, just ask.
A simple squawk ident and away you go.
I love the guys and gals who offer their positions if they are in the area and are not sure if it is them even though they are clear. Responsible aviators.
The ESIR reports are used mainly to decide when it is necessary to run a series of pilot 'education' courses with the training schools. If the stats aren't there there is no need to spend the money.

One of my bug bears is the pilots who find it necessary to use their GPS to run 10 metres outside of the CTA step.
Aren't you supposed to apply VFR nav tolerences to your track and therefore fly well clear of the steps?
Theoretically I can run a 747 right up to the CTA step and Joe Blogs is 10 metres away in their single.
Brisbane was a classic case of this.
The zone is 7nm from either end of the runway. Lots of folk put 7 nm from the ARP into their GPS which means they enter by 1-2 nm.

My most amusing VCA was the aircraft that went through CG, AF and BN CTR then landed at RED.
The Redcliff areoclub CFI wasa gobsmacked when he rang us back to inform us that the aircraft couldnt have responded to our radio transmissions as all four people on board were profoundly DEAF.

Rant over.

AA