PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2009, 16:46
nl_backseater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S92 Filter Bowl Assembly.

My thanks to JD for his quick response about the lack of commonality of the Blackhawk filter mount to the S92. It seems my first post has elicited some interesting debate on the MGB filter design of the S92 and I don't think it could be summed up any better than Lt.Fubar's post. Kudo's for bringing an analogy to the discussion that everyone can understand. Including mere PAX like me.

Having said that we have what we have with the existing design and certainly the fix proposed raises the same concerns that became evident with the titanium studs. Will the steel studs fair any better in the long run?

So, another question or maybe two or three.

What is the inspection or change interval for the filter?

Is it being handled by maintenance staff more often than recommended because of the issues with the pumps and the accelerated inspection/change schedule? It seems to make some sense to me that perhaps a cursory inspection of the filter might be called for to check for trapped particulate that might be shed form the pump splines.

Or, have the pump issues been worked out with the latest rev pumps so that maintenance is again being performed at the original maintenance intervals?

The reason I ask is because it was postulated in one post that the constant loosening and re-torquing may have played a part in the studs failing. Certainly if the filter housing is being removed more frequently it would only add to these concerns.

Last edited by nl_backseater; 31st Mar 2009 at 16:53. Reason: add clarification