PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Week From Hell
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2009, 13:37
Canoehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Week From Hell

So how'd y'all enjoy flying around DXB's CB's this last week?

From a controllers point of view it was no fun at all, not even a little bit. We got hit on all three shifts, I think, morning, afternoon and midnight, for like the last six days or so. Delays for all, fuel emergencies, short tempers, sometimes up to three runway changes an hour, workload going through the roof. Same in the cockpit, I'm sure.

Just a few tidbits worth sharing. First, neither we (DXB Approach), nor Abu Dhabi Center have wx radar. We see nothing, nada. Can't vector you around anything, can't plan traffic flows, just try to form a mental picture (mental is a good word..) of ever changing weather based on what you tell us. Results are not too good, as you've probably noticed. Also, the system is not set up for crap weather. Whereas 'back home' we can easy handle snowstorms, thunderstorms et al, here it's like what goes on in the streets of Dubai when it rains a little; everyone freaks and it all comes to a standstill.

Anyway, hats off to all who came through it unscathed, hopefully the clear desert skies will return real soon, although I hear next Saturday Mother Nature is prepping another nasty for us...