PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Violation of Controlled Airspace
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 18:59
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
You need a FROL (Flight Radio Operators Licence) and your (in)competency of navigating in and around controlled airspace is tested in your biannual flight review.

I promise I will never, ever, turn up so badly prepared for a flight review ever again.

C-change is right about "integrity and airmanship" but that also implies that AsA and CASA must show "integrity and airmanship" in managing the system and enforcing the regulations. If the regulators do not demonstrate the behaviours they expect from pilots, then how can they expect pilots to model better behaviour than they themselves display?

By and large, from my own very limited experience, I think CASA and ATC do model "Integrity and Airmanship" as a student I made my fair share of stupidities and these were treated as "learning experiences' by the authorities. Were they not, then the Tower folk at YMMB would need a second building just to house the mountains of paperwork the endless infractions would generate.

There is a vast difference in my opinion between doing something that is in flagrant and deliberate violation of the rules and doing something that is a less than perfect attempt to comply, people understand that, and people have a sense of fairness and equity as well.

To put it another way, there needs to be a bit of give and take in the system, if that is replaced by a requirement for mindless obedience backed up by mandatory and draconian penalties, then expect the standards of "integrity and airmanship" to disappear, exactly as the automotive equivalents have disappeared from our roads.