PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 04:44
Outwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone SEEN a published (as in RFM) run dry xmsn capability in any helicopter. I seem to recall we had something in the AS350 but am not sure.
I think the part in brackets (as in RFM) is key here, as I just googled "run dry helicopter" and came up with a very nice page about the H-92 Super hawk. An excerpt from:
H-92 Superhawk Multi-Mission Helicopter - Air Force Technology

Vital systems are installed with widely separated redundancy. The gearboxes have a run-dry capability of 30 minutes allowing the pilot to return the helicopter to safety in the event of a catastrophic oil loss.

And here about the Bell 214ST: Bell Model 214ST helicopter - development history, photos, technical data

Initial orders included several for offshore oil support and utility transport roles, in which configura-tion the aircraft seats 18 passengers plus two crew. The twin engines drive a one-hour run-dry transmis-sion with fiberglass rotor blades and elastomeric bearings in the rotorhead. The 214ST is cleared for two-pilot IFR operation, and is the first large Bell helicopter to offer an optional wheeled undercarriage in-stead of skids.

And last but not least the 225:

Rotor & Wing Magazine :: Helicopter Intellect

While the main gearbox has been redesigned and reinforced for greater power and safety, the key benefit for the pilot is a guaranteed 30-min. "dry run" capability. And while it is certified to run dry for 30 min., actual tests have taken it up to 52 min.

Amazing what the spin doctors can suck us into