PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jacobson Flare
Thread: Jacobson Flare
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2009, 13:39
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where else are you going to look?
Well, actually I have caught myself at times trying to look as far around the left hand side of the cowl at the ground as I can and other times directly out to the side out of necessity. There are many, many visual cues and peripheral vision and aircraft feel and sound is just as important to me as the aim point disappearing under the nose, horizons and the end of the runway. That said, there are 1001 ways to land an aeroplane. Somehow or another, pilots appear to be about 99.999999999% successful at putting the parts of an aircraft that are meant to come in contact with the ground onto the runway prior to any of the other parts of the aircraft.

Jacobson has a valid discussion and has been presenting his technique for years now. It works and it's safe. I just think it's overanalyzing a small, but important part of a relatively straightforward manouevre and ignoring many other cues that other pilots may use for successful landing techniques, but that's how some people like it. I have a friend who can't tell you the time without explaining how the watch works. He would embrace the Jacobson flare with gusto.

Last edited by Lodown; 26th Mar 2009 at 14:17.