PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots Palermo ATR Crash received 10-year sentences
Old 24th Mar 2009, 19:36
deltayankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the warning was not made also in Italian? At least from the FA?
Perhaps neither of the two spoke enough Italian.

Instead of blaming the judiciary system, why not blame the defense lawyer?
I also agree that the defense lawyer did a very poor job but Italian legal practice has some oddities. One is that it seems in many cases that the first sentence -- called "not definitive" -- is extremely harsh but after the appeals they hand down a definitive sentence that is quite often the exact opposite. Maybe the lawyer is waiting for the next phase before making a serious effort.

I also agree that the Reuter's piece was outrageous. There is enough serious news in this story to fill a whole paper and they focus on one racist insinuation. Perhaps the "praying" they describe was nothing more than the "Jesus wept" you might hear in any flight deck when things go pear shaped.

One other thing that struck me about this case is that they seem to assign the blame 50/50 to the captain and F/O. Is this correct, and if it is does this mean that they do not recognize the responsability of the captain in making the decisions?