PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2009, 09:55
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't agree...

Whenever I look at these threads it always reminds me of that stupid, funny Hollywood movie about the police, "Police Story," I think the title is, the one with Leslie Nielsen and O.J. Simpson when he was still taken to be a nice guy.

There is a scene in the movie where Nordberg has been shot and Lt. Drebbin is speculating about the possible motive for his shooting in earshot of his wife. We are watching her reactions to his "thinking out loud" as he says something like, "perhaps it was a jealous boyfriend..." Funny in a funny movie, seeing someone play an insensitive total clot, perhaps not so funny in real life, especially for the survivors of an accident.

Here you often get people making total fools of themselves by showing that their expertise stems from Microsoft Flight Simulator or else just taking some W.A.G. and running it into the ground without any relevant facts to go on except that, yes, an aircraft has crashed in somewhat unknown circumstances.

There's always a lag between the event and the report, about a year to a year and-a-half, the time it takes for the event to be researched, the results analysed, the report to be written, reviewed, approved and published. This final report is what we really need to pay attention to, though, not the scuttlebutt we hear or generate around the coffee machine!

I remember very well one high-profile crash when I had inside information about what had happened, that they lost their hydraulics and went in out of control. My informant knew the guy who had snagged the aircraft, the crew who had refused to fly it and the guy who then took it on its fatal flight. All very, very interesting and totally wrong! The airplane went in having been mishandled, with nothing technically wrong that would contribute to the crash. All that rumour-mongering was just us chasing a red herring!

This stuff, to me, is very like the "rubber-neckers" who drive past a nasty crash gawking at the wreckage, indulging some morbid urge. There's almost nothing of value in it if you think, as I do, that the final report is the only thing that really matters to most of us.

Just think about all the people who, to this day, pontificate about that Swissair crew and their adherence to a checklist when they should have... blah, blah, blah. Read the report to see that they were basically doomed for technical reasons, that their actions did not cause the accident. There you have people just unthinkingly condemning a crew when they really do not know what they are talking about and cannot be bothered to learn the rather boring facts.

This one at Schiphol, how many people had already nailed their colours to the mast by telling us the cause of the accident when almost nothing was known. Turks are lousy pilots! No, they ran out of fuel! No, it was wake turbulence! Poor maintenance. Politics. Religion, even... You really think this is useful? I don't.

Don't let me stop you in this playing "Crash Investigator," of course. What do I know, really? I have got to that unhappy state of "the more I learn, the less I know!"