PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 19:29
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German AOL...

AOL puts up little snippets of news on the home page (I think it is called) you get when you log on to select e-mail.

There is an article running now about this crash, really addressing the very different ways it is being viewed back in Turkey and around the world. They don't mention PPRuNe by name but I wouldn't be surprised if they are watching which way the comments run.

They even brought up the way Turkish comments have dragged Islam into it by mentioning the way an animal was sacrificed on an airport ramp back in the home country, as if to say that the ground engineers were all bumpkins. Turns out that wasn't Turkish Airlines at all but never mind that now...

I really, really think that it is a good idea to skip this morbid guessing game every time there is a high-profile crash.

Once the cause is known, by all means publicise that so that we can all profit by learning from the mistakes of others but this jumping in with wild guesses about everything from fuel exhaustion to wake turbulence to pilot error; what good does that do? In fact, I think it really damages the image of the profession to show some of us putting the boot in before the facts are known.