PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue Cabin Crew EBA
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 12:55
CBR_1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i see your point but...

We have to be careful about what we negotiate away in tough times to "keep our jobs" as just like you have mentioned, times will again be good - that is the nature of market economies - what we give away now, we will never get back and i think we have given enough over the past decade. i too don't bank on my allowances, but on my base salary and it is a sad fact that our base salary is now below the average wage. should it be? hell no. our role is not only about safety - and we've all seen or been involved in some worrisome situations at times, be they medical emergencies, out of control pax, or putting our EP's into practise. for all of these reasons, along with the shift work hours, long days on our feet without any real breaks etc. we SHOULD be paid at least an average wage, if not above it. my friends and family outside of the industry can't believe how little we really get paid for what we do. on top of all of that, our role is not just important from a safety perspective, but IS pivotal in the longevity of the company. It is US, that ensures passengers ultimately want to fly with us again and for all the great deals in the world, if we upset a passenger, we have burnt them which equals lost income for the company. The higher echelons of management have no real respect for what we do, and who we are, they treat us like numbers that are disposable. Ever wondered why they say 25-30% pay cut? well what is it? 25%? 28% what? and how come it is somewhere in the range? and when exactly does it come into effect? from the next payslip after the announcement? or at the start of the next financial year? like their pay rises usually do. Richard Tanner is on a $360k package - $270 cash in hand - go look it up on the annual report. is he really worth that? honestly? is anyone??? and he has the audacity to swear at us whilst asking us for more? be careful what you are prepared to give up for the sake of thinking it will keep your job safe. i personally am sick of seeing photos of the "boys" on their junkets whilst us at the coal face have to beg for a measly 3.5% pay rise - that we have to do more work for, so not really a pay rise. it is a joke and i'll be voting no because i take pride in what i do, do it well, care about our guests, and i'm worth it.