PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have I Been Stupid - OFT
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2009, 23:54
irishone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Man_c

On the ppl number of hours issue, If I remember rightly its a min of 28 hrs total, 5 of which must be solo. Correct me if Im wrong, been a while since I did the FAA (Are you going with part 61?....check FAR/AIM). Obviously you got a contract when you signed the deposit??? It should state you get the 20/20 hrs you were talking about. If so you should be fine. I know when I did my ppl I only had 6 hrs solo.

I went to Vero Beach myself, so cant tell you about accommodation. But I know in FSI the student accommodation on campus was much more expensive that off campus accommodation. So maybe book into the student place for few nights then look else where. 750pm is a lot!

I havent heard of anything (lately) too bad about OFT. I looked into doing FI ratings there. I heard they moved to Merritt Island also, ppl training can be done here. Things that are said on Pprune can be very helpful but also to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes. If you have the deposit paid, and its a lot, I would continue on. If it's only a small amt of money...have a look at FSI or FIT in Florida. Both fab schools. Don't know what prices they are. If it's just as expensive to do it in Uk I would do it in the Uk. The training is better and tougher.

If you go ahead with OFT dont worry about it. Even if they give you trouble. Your only booked in for your PPL so you'll be out in 6 weeks. Look on it as a learning experience. And your in a great location for it, right in B airspace.

I dont know much about the maintance issues, maybe get in touch with someone who was an ex student there. But with regards to general issues, every school has them. So be prepared for that.

If you go to FL You'll have a ball! Wish I was back flying in Florida Make sure you go to Naples on your crosscountry, fab views and beaches!

Maria