PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 22nd Mar 2009, 21:43
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 172 Likes on 66 Posts
I don't know who has made you so paranoid about your age but I'm the same age you are and regularly fly with first officers who are significantly older than I am. Ex-military types are usually very late 30's by the time they hit the airline recruiters desk. Its no impediment. Age discrimination is now illegal. Few airlines now expect to recruit and retain for an entire 40 year career. You'll most likely pay for your type rating one way or another anyway.

Your lapsed IR is more likely going to be the snag than your sub 40 age.

I have pumped out a strongly bearish message now for 18 months. Many take the view that I'm variously enjoying doing so, motivated by shadenfraude, showing off, am a pessimist by nature or glory in doom mongering to Wannabes from a position of immunity. None of which is true. Every Wannabe caught out by this crisis, every dream that is turning to nightmare, is a tragedy. My heart goes out to those for whom their wannabe ambitions prove to be a personal ruination. This industry is vicious and cruel at times and you can do nothing about it bar discounting the ill fortune of your timing.

The storm will pass and the only game in town is keeping afloat until that day.