PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2009, 20:57
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are not grounded, but the January ASB has been revised to Revision A, that changes the compliance time from " at the next 1250 hour check or one year" to "before next flight." It also says "compliance is essential."

That's pretty clear guidance, which I think you'll find all operators are following
Why did it take Sikorsksy over a year to issue an ASB on the filter housing studs, when the Broome MGB failure incident with 2 broken titanium studs had highlighted this Achilles' heel in the S-92? With no dry-run capability the S-92 MGB design in my mind has been totally unacceptable in what up to then was touted as the safest helo in the world.

IMO the RFM should be updated to reflect land immediately on MGB lube oil pressure fail or < 5 psi and temperature increase above bearing design temperature until a new MGB design is available to provide an acceptable dry run time.

We'll soon know the full picture of what exactly happened once the TSB finish their initial investigation, until then I won't be traveling in a S-92a unless the pilot assures me that he'll land immediately on confirmed MGB lube oil failure.

Last edited by maxwelg2; 22nd Mar 2009 at 21:14.