PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have I Been Stupid - OFT
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2009, 17:44
AlphaMale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hell bent on training in the US with EFT possibly on their Multi APP program. They then hit problems with money and that really put me off, exchange rate was almost $2 to the £1 and APP cost of $62k was around £32k.

I looked into EAA who are a very good FAA school (FAA PPL is fine for going on to your ATPL GS), although a little more costly I would be training in a nice location of Florida and be flying state of the art aircraft. Exchange rates dropped to around $1.5 to the £1 and it become pretty much the same cost as training in the UK.

Plan C was to go to South Africa, Algoa is a good school that can offer a PPL for around R70k ~ £3,800 (R18 to the £1 back when I looked into this), unfortunately the weak £GBP means we get less R14 to the £1 in todays rates (£5k+Flight to RSA (£750) for a PPL).

So it has become apparent to me that training in a small Tomahawk at a school offering PPL/IMC/Night as opposed to a big FTO is pretty good value for money. No need to beg for 4/6/8 weeks off work from the employer and I'll be used to the UK airspace right from the off.

Man C Flyer, if you have paid your deposit it might be worth your while going out there and just enjoy the flying. People with negative experiences from these schools will make a song and dance about their experience and many who have never been to the school will only echo these stories. People who go to EFT/OBA/OFT/Naples and have a good experience don't seem to shout quite so loud.

But I have heard plenty of ex-students who enjoyed their time there and said "It does what it says on the tin". So long as you treat it as 4 weeks of training and not a holiday you should get what they advertise.

Good luck.