PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 22nd Mar 2009, 05:12
AiRBuS_380

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

thanks for clarification. Anyway my view will be to make the decision properly and if you embark in it never regret.... yes there are many whom had the" been there done that" effects but in reality, self sponsoring is still in its ancient grounds in Asia as compared to US or EU. GA in Asia are for the high rollers whereby aviation transportation is merely dominated by airlines not GA as in the US or other parts of asia pacific.

Therefore, work opportunity is drastically reduced and with that amount money invested, will it be a high opportunity cost. I myself was a self sponsored fellow and i know the risk of failure at my point in time. Therefore, all Singaporean who wanted to be a pilot please do consider the fact of not getting a job and not being able to repay the huge loan. the cost from fly schools normally will exceed by another 20% to 30% due to marketing gimicks of stating the least hours required.

In my point of view, as a singaporean, i would suggest to just keep the hopes in cadetship and notthing else. there is only a handful of self-sponsored making into the airlines in our local context. due to age differences, (NS and 26Yrs rule) many are often too OLD when you embark in ur self funded ATPL.

Will any airline hire a 30plus 200hr fATPL holder? in th business sense, there are tons of 20yr old green fATPL holders in other region which will have a longer career life, benificial to the airline operating capita. Take a look at SQ, even the local carriers are seeking for other nationals at early 20s. whereby we get Cpts 30plus working in SQ for 10plus years.

just my thoughts...

great way to fly