PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 21st Mar 2009, 07:04
NatRpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying a dream, Airline Pilot a Job

Hi to all, I'm new in this forum. Just happened to chance upon it on the Net. From all the posts, it can be seen that there is a large number of Singaporeans who want to be pilots. Well first of I'll like to ask is: do you have the determination to be a pilot from the start and until the very end? Passion (which I agree) is an important factor too in a person wanting to be a pilot but determination itself edges ahead of passion. Why? Because pilot courses (regardless of what type) are tedious and expensive. I am not here to discourage those pilots-wannabes, I just want them to consider seriously before embarking on their pilot-training journeys. Won't it be even more regretful, wasteful, and disheartening to embark on the pilot training and only to give up halfway?

I am a Singaporean, currently obtaining a double degree in Business Aviation and Natural Resources Aviation in the US. I was an ex-pilot trainee for RSAF (got chopped in the initial pilot training in Australia) and did thought about joining SIA, but an SIA applicant with a degree will have a higher chance in getting through (not 100% though) so I went overseas to pursue a degree and found a university that offers aviation program.

I love flying and I don't really mind what kind or type of plane I have to fly. From a Piper Warrior to a SuperCub to a BeechCraft Bonanza, as long as I can fly I'm happy. Regarding about applying for SIA, give it a shot. If you get rejected then its alright. It ain't the end of the world for there are always other ways to go about reaching your goal. I'm not sure if I will apply with SIA after I have obtained my degree. Most likely I will remain in the US. It is not too difficult to get a job in the US or Canada, all you need to do is attend job seminars, aviation conventions, and pilots committee (be as thickskinned and outgoing as possible) and approach pilots and/or prospective employers, talk to them and give out your namecards to build contacts and to get them to remember you. That's what I did and I am promised internship during the summer. I am also trained in being IR, CPL, CFI & CFII.