PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why a ban? This is why.
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2002, 23:43
Doctor J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part 5

Appendix A

In Memoriam

I think Greg’s tragedy affected all Cathay Pacific pilots, but to The 49ers there was a sense of loss that was greater and somehow difficult to describe. I knew little of most other 49ers before 9th July. Indeed, many of our group had little in common and would have never interacted socially; but that fateful day we became a band of brothers with an unbreakable bond. 8th July Greg had been just another smiling young face on the line to me – one more fresh pilot who still had the twinkle in his eye from believing he had the world on a platter. After the sackings, he would become much more.

Greg loved Hong Kong. More than anyone I know, he had made Hong Kong his home – not just a bearable place to hang his hat for the freshman years of his career, but home. Greg was an avid and talented ice hockey player long before he came to Cathay Pacific and when he found that he could play hockey and live in Hong Kong, his mind was set. In his few years here, he had picked up written and spoken Cantonese. I remember being amused by the fact the he not only talked like a local, but he ate like a local. He loved living downtown amongst the hustle and bustle, the crowds and the street stalls. Coupled with a job that paid him to do what we all loved, the world was his oyster.

9th July was harder on Greg than any other 49er. You could see it in his eyes. While I did my best to be strong for my family and for others, Greg was candid about the emotional devastation he felt. I wasn’t the only one that saw the warning signs and his new colleagues moved quickly to get him involved with union tasks and to monitor his emotional health. I was pleased to see a turnaround in him as time went by. By the time of his death, he had reached a level of acceptance and could laugh and joke about 49erdom. I don’t think we will ever know exactly what happened that ill-fated morning, and I don’t really care to. While many chose to speculate over Greg’s death, there was one thing that every 49er knows in his heart – were it not for 9th July, Greg would be with us today.

Everyone who attended Greg’s memorial service was touched deeply, but I know that there wasn’t a dry 49er eye in the house. His good friend told us how Greg never held a grudge, never thought of vengeance; he just wished he could have his job back. Although his death makes me angry, we can all learn something from Greg.

On 29th January, we didn’t just lose a friend and a colleague – we lost a brother. Greg, we will never, ever forget. When we despair, we will remember you, hold our head high and return to the struggle. Yours will not be in vain. Keep the faith brother,

Anonymous 49er

Appendix B

Why We Fight – The 49ers’ Roll of Honour

Sacked

Captain Ron Boyle
Captain Ken Carver
Captain George Crofts
Captain John Dickie
Captain Mike Fitz-Costa
Captain Doug Gage
Captain Ken Gerhards
Captain Brad Harris