PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2009, 08:32
Variable Load

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Does any other aircraft out there have a MGB oil pump fail warning system?
YES, the venerable 61.

If the oil pressure drops below 8 psi, whether due to a pump failure or loss of oil, the ELS automatically kicks in and you get a XMSN PRESS caution light as well as a green light on the ELS.

Sometime the old ways are better.
Outwest, that's not really what I meant. The S61 Emerg Lube is reacting to low oil pressure, not a pump failure. That may sound pedantic, but it's important. The S92 will also tell you about low oil pressure, as I am sure will just about every machine out there. I was wondering if any other helicopter has a pump failure warning system, not a low lube px warning system.

Currently a single pump failure will result in a pressure of around 5-7 psi. That is enough to allow gearbox operation virtually indefinitely, albeit with a temperature rise.
212man, is this not only true for a failure similar to the vespel spline problem where the pump windmills. If the pump seizes I thought the pressure drop was much less?? This I was told was the only failure mode Sikorsky had considered at the design stage and hence no check valves.