PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fis/basic - ATSOCAS Changes - 12th March
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 23:08
NorthSouth

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
bottomrung:
or I can offer a PS to VFR traffic
Can you?
Controllers shall make all reasonable endeavours to provide the service that a pilot requests
[CAP 774 Chapter 1 para 4]
So if the pilot doesn't request it you don't offer it. Why would you offer something the pilot hasn't asked for and you don't want to provide? Sounds to me like you're trying to make life difficult for yourself. Most VFRs wouldn't know a PS if it splashed their shoes so I don't think you're in any danger here.
Also, you seem to be getting worried about no longer being able to provide specific traffic info to VFRs, but as I understand it you're in a non-radar unit. Surely then the info you give is by nature non-specific? I would regard "G-CD traffic info a Squirrel helicopter routing from X to Y last reported at 1500ft" as non-specific since it doesn't tell the other guy where the traffic is, just what its route is. Why wouldn't you continue to give that information? The alleged trouble with FIS was radar-equipped units effectively giving a RIS but since you can't do that, why not just carry on as you were?
NS