PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pablo Mason (Spelled M.A.S.O.N) Tribunal
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 19:04
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would simply be interested to know whether flight safety was compromised by this Captain's actions.
No, the immediate end result would suggest probably not.

However when it comes to "compromise" it isn't quite that clear cut.

If you fly through turbulence without switching the seat belt sign on and nobody is injured, you may have compromised flight safety, but the end result was fine. If you fly with a blood alcohol level slightly above the legal limit, you may have compromised flight safety but would it make any difference to the end result? If you fly the aircraft overweight you may have compromised flight safety, but as long as both engines keep turning does it matter? Life is a series of compromises, however safety and security is about ensuring that limits, rules and regulations are ordinarilly adhered to such that compromises do not suddenly bite you. The rules do not permit unauthorized persons into the flightdeck. These rules (like them or not) are a result of previous serious security breaches. They are mandated instructions and the captain has no discretion other than in an emergency to disregard those instructions.

If a Captain elects to disregard the limits or the regulations in order to satisfy his own wishes in clear violation of the legalities and mandated instructions, he compromises his own job security, he compromises the crewmembers under his command, he compromises the safety and security of his passengers. He compromises the commercial security of his company. He compromises his collegues.

If you are going to make this many potential compromises, you really need to have a very good reason or imperative for doing so. Pandering to the wishes, whims or phobias of a professional football player doesn't even come close to qualifying.

I am just repeating myself.