PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pablo Mason (Spelled M.A.S.O.N) Tribunal
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 16:40
PBY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, I have been following this tread and did not feel to answer until now. I grew up under communist rule (communist standard operating procedures). When I was 19, I worked in a factory producing guns for Iraq and Iran. One day, together with few other guys, we got fed up and started demonstrations. We were lucky, because the regime was already weakened and thus they did not kill us. You could say, we won, I say, we were lucky, because the time was right. But it was right, because some people before us were brave, even though their time was not right and they were not so lucky.
Catholic church also had its own SOP’s in the middle ages. It was called “The hammer against witches”. Whoever did not follow these SOP’s was executed by a very distressful death. What changed these SOP’s, so they are not used today? Was it the popes? No. It was outside pressure of few brave civilized people, who were sensitive to human suffering.
We as captains are human being first and than SOP’s willing executioners. Lets look at Pablo’s predicament in this light. He has a guy on his flight, who is stressed out, because of his fear of flying. Lets say, that there is a measure of stress and lets call it “stress newtons = SN”. How many SN was this guy subjected to? How many SN before we divert a flight to prevent human suffering? Any number in SOP’s? Does the SOP’s clearly states, that you should ignore human suffering? Are we robots? I think, that sometimes we have to even divert due to distress in the cabin. But Pablo used his brain. He saved the company lots of money. He asked himself a question: Is this guy a terrorist? No, because if he was, he would have dragged a bomb to overcrowded stadiums already. Does he suffer? Pablo could not measure how many SN he was under, as he is not a psychiatrist and even a psychiatrist cannot estimate it without a talk with the patient. So, here we have a situation. Either we let the guy at the back suffer in the name of terrorism (different kind of communism, catholicism or alcoholism = not using a brain isms), or we use a common sense and alleviate the guys suffering. Very difficult question. Would it be worth even to overcome the fear of loosing your job? Should you be loosing a job in the first place, just because you used your own discretion? May be, there is a time to break SOP’s. May be, there is a time to change them.
I compare some pilots of this thread to a flock of birds. Everytime they hear a gunshot they get emotionally startled. But we have moral responsibility as well.
Pablo, good luck with your trial, I am behind you!