PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pablo Mason (Spelled M.A.S.O.N) Tribunal
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2009, 15:36
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am ex-Tornado aircrew who both flew in the 1991 Gulf War and was based at RAF Laarbruch in Germany on a different Squadron but at the same time as Pablo Mason. I can vouch for the truth of itwasme's statement and confirm that the only reason Pablo survived the crash was the fact the Germans had recently raised the low flying limit to 1000'agl and that his navigator initiated the command ejection sequence to autmatically eject them both. The aircraft was totally serviceable but had been placed in an irrecoverable situation by pilot error. It is a long time ago now, but from memory the mishandling was the simultaneous application of 63 or 67 deg wingsweep, high alpha and full speed brake. I vaguely remember some mod limiting wingsweep to 63 deg rather than 67, hence the doubt about the actual wingsweep on the day.

I wish Pablo no ill, but if you want a debate on this, the facts rather than apocryphal tales are best. There is considerably more that could be said here, but I will limit myself to these facts.