PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pablo Mason (Spelled M.A.S.O.N) Tribunal
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2009, 08:04
Starbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbubba

Quote:
Oh, yes and when your a/c is burning and you want to get the thing on the ground pronto, you cant, not allowed. Why? Well the Emergency checklist (Law not an SOP) says you cant, as you are above the max landing weight.
Huh? .
I've never seen that one
Really? How about the Swissair MD11 (SWR 111), which crashed near Halifax into the sea on Sept 1998, beacuse the Captain insisted on completing the checklists first?

But never forget "rules is rules"

btw Maximum, I did not intend to hold Bader up as a role model for anyone just giving the quote its source. It is the words which are important (to me at least) perhaps I could have made that clearer at the time

SOPs are a set of guidelines to assist crews in operating the aircraft and should be adhered to at all times when possible and sensible. I do not and have never advocated cherrypicking in normal ops. Security RULES are not SOPs even if some companies decided to incorporate them into the same chapter of the manual. And if you choose to disobey company rules you should and may have to accept the consequences if any. Captain Mason is now doing that.

Bealzebub, post 50: Where did Captain Mason's act of rule breaking compromise his or anyone's safety or security in this instance?

I don't know Pablo Mason or the rights and wrongs of his case but it does worry me when people keep reiterating the mantra "rules is rules"