PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - commercial pilots job and wage
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2009, 03:26
Cravenmorehead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the basics of supply and demand dermine the wage paid in the first job stakes. I am not sure what transpires now but basically when I was a boy it was expected you would be ripped off by your first employer, maybe that is why cadetships are so popular nowadays. But the rewards and returns despite this were great.
My first full time position back in the early 80's was a job in the Red Centre. I got $120.00 a week plus board and residence. I was no Robinson Caruso either. It was tough, but a whole lot of fun. The bosses were tough but fun as well. They were, in reflection some of the best days of my life. No real worries just doing what I wanted to do. I left after 18 months and as one of the others said got a twin rating and class one instrument rating as it was called in those days and got a job on twin pretty much straight up then a Turbine about 18 months later and the rest is history, I will never regret that long lonely drive up the Stuart Highway.
In hindsight; and what a terrific thing that is I think a Multi command rating will stand you in good stead. Firstly for safety and also in most aircraft even the most basic of single ie 206/210 etc you will have a VOR and ADF;you may as well do the odd approach here and there (in good conditions) on the boss just to keep your hand in you know.
If you can't afford an Instrument rating so be it. Many such as me in the past flogged around the sticks VFR for the first bit of our careers.
I don't want to start and arguement about cadetships here but I genuinely feel you will be better off following the go North young man path. Having said that I know some ex cadets who are now skippers with major airlines, so who can say what is best. Having said all that I never really answered your question did I. Pay who knows as soon there will be an over supplyof drivers chasing jobs. Less work around in general etc etc etc snzzzzzz, (who wants to sound like Ruddy). Anyway essentially pilots will start working like I did in the sticks for peanuts. Essentially you have to go bush I think these days.