PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA and the DC-9
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2009, 00:24
chimbu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keith Duffield

Darkie, an indiginous Australian?

Not sure about that. Certainly a character. As a habituee of St. Kilda's Musician's Club in the '70s I knocked around with (amongst others) Jack Varney, the banjoist. From him I learnt that Keith Duffield and he served in the wartime RAAF. After the war 'The Prince of Darkness' stayed on, joining the VIP squadron. While Jack was touring postwar Europe with Graham Bell's All Stars (to critical acclaim) Darkie flew Chiffley around the Commonwealth in a DC3. He must have joined TAA soon after that. Jack died last year aged 90, so I guess he had a full and happy life doing what he loved best.

Talking about George Sheppard and other fondly remembered Training Captains. They imparted much wisdom, both on and off the field of play. Simple things. Like making a modified sign of the Cross with the right hand, touching sequentially the forehead, crutch, breast and left wrist. This movement performed before leaving the flight deck was accompanied by the ritual chant “spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch” to ensure all were present or safely tucked away.

Failure to observe said ritual would sometimes result in startled passengers as the 'deshabille' pilot exited the washroom, displaying the un-adorned male form. To avoid embarassment, this check is best performed also, when exiting flight decks, hotel rooms, ladies chambers etc.

Chimbu

Last edited by chimbu; 14th Mar 2009 at 02:03.